Phoenixville Youth Initiative
PROGRAM CONTACT INFORMATION
Contact Margaret Hamilton at 610-235-4593 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and/or to apply as an employer or student. You can also contact Chris Pielli at email@example.com or Javonna Wylie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PYI PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
A collaboration between Chester County OIC and Phoenixville Social Concerns Committee, the Phoenixville Youth Initiative is an eight week summer employment program designed to help low-income, at risk youth aged 14 -19 residing in the Phoenixville Area.
To reduce risky behaviors of youth and young adults between the ages of 14-19 in the Phoenixville area by fostering a collaboration among residents, local businesses and non-profit organizations and the school district.
- Up to 8 weeks of paid work & education experience
- Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour
- Open to all Phoenixville residents from 14 through 19 years old
- Introduce and prepare youth for world of work
- Provide youth the opportunity to gain valuable work experience
- Reduce youth unemployment during summer months
- Provide supplemental income to families
- Help youth to develop the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed in today’s world of work
Service days are held once a week for 7 hours to provide students with the opportunity to develop professional skills, participate in leadership and team-building activities, reflect on their accomplishments, growth, and challenges at their workplaces, and explore various businesses and schools.
SERVICE DAY INCLUDES:
- Work readiness
- Financial literacy
- Career exploration
- Post-secondary education options
- STEM projects
- Leadership and Team-building
- Professional Portfolio Development
- Business & Post-secondary institution visits